Ever since the founding of the Chung Yuan Christian Science and Engineering College in 1955, two engineering departments, Chemical Engineering and Civil Engineering, were established. And the engineering programs have been the largest component in University teaching as well as in research. In 1980, the Chung Yuan Christian SE College became a University and College of Engineering grew up to have nine departments until August 2005 and four departments spun off to be College of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EE&CS). Now, the College of Engineering comprises five departments including Department of Chemical Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Biomedical Engineering and Department of Bioenvironmental Engineering. Except for the newly established (on August 1, 2004) Bioenvironmental Engineering Department, the others have graduate programs in both master`s degree and a Ph.D. degree. Department of Chemical Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering, and Department of Biomedical Engineering also have the evening executive master`s programs available for those who are working in the industry.
In addition, COE is the first college in Taiwan to have its departments and graduate schools undergone engineering education accreditation by the Institute of Engineering Education Taiwan (IEET), and received accreditation certificate. More recently, all five departments have initiated DIGS program for foreign students and multi-channels in international exchange, short communication as well as summer camp learning, etc..